Nettle cordial adapted from Galloway Wild Foods recipe
Collect nettle tops. Leave on a plate by window- so bugs can escape. Wash with tongs
- Citric acid
- 500g sugar
- 500ml water
- 200g-300g of nettle tops (collected in spring before plant goes to seed)
- Measure out sugar. Add sugar and water.
- Heat gently until sugar is dissolved. Stir constantly.
- Add nettles and leave on heat until they start to steam (don’t let it boil)
- Let it cool
- Remove nettles and put nettles into oven on tray 180degrees
- Whilst the nettles are cooking add small amounts of citric acid to taste so it goes a little tart. Start with 1/2 tsp and then add another 1/2 teaspoon.
- Pour into sterilized bootles.
- Add to water and ice and serve as a refreshing drink.
- Lasts 2 weeks in fridge.