After returning to New Zealand from the UK, I was looking to make a pesto like Ramsons, Wild garlic pesto. This is as close as I could get and it makes a damn good oniony/garlicky pesto with an abundant weed. It’s found in the UK where it’s called Three corned leek. This is due to the raised ridge along the stalk, so when cut has three corners. The pesto is bright green colour, + it makes me feel healthy to eat it. Bonus!
- A big bunch or handful of onion weed
- parmesan cheese (optional if vegan)
- olive oil
- nuts (your choice)
- Dry roast your nuts, stirring constantly so they don’t burn. They are ready when they go a little brown and smell roasted. Let them cool.
- Blend some nuts until fine. (I usually judge amount by eye, but you could try 100g)
- Add onion weed, olive oil, parmesan, to make pesto consistency. Add a squeeze or two of lemon juice – to your taste. Blend.
- Enjoy on french bread, crackers… whatever your heart desires!